Posted by: Jay | April 10, 2008

Not A Prediction, But A Lie

I remember an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry was going to take a lie detector test and he was trying to get some knowledge in the art of lying from George. George couldn’t help much but he did say, “Jerry. It’s not a lie, if you believe it.”

That’s what we have with the gun control crowd. Georgia, like Florida is on the verge of expanding gun rights to allow people with concealed carry permits to carry their guns into restaurants, public transportation, state parks. There is another bill that says people can leave their guns in their cars at their employers parking lot, but it only depends on whether or not the business owner says its ok, which makes that portion somewhat toothless. But it’s better than nothing.

Enter the PSH (I got that from Sebastian – Pants Shitting Hysterics) of the gun control crowd:

Alice Johnson, executive director of Georgians for Gun Safety, called the bill “the deadliest piece of legislation” in her organization’s 15 years of lobbying the general assembly.

Johnson said the bill would authorize civilians to take the law into their own hands and rely on concealed guns when crimes are being committed and police aren’t around.

“Ultimately it has the goal of trying to make concealed weapons more pervasive in the community, and we think that’s very, very dangerous,” Johnson said.

The only thing she left out was a reference to the ‘wild west’ and ‘blood flowing in the streets.’ These dire predictions are no longer predictions, but lies. They are lies because they are not backed up by any evidence. In any state where gun rights have been expanded, these predictions have never come true. Never. Yet they keep repeating the same predictions over and over and over again. If I predict the Yankees will win the World Series this year and I’m wrong, that’s an incorrect prediction. However, if I predict the sun won’t come up tomorrow even though we’ll have a new day, and I keep repeating that same prediction in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, it’s no longer an incorrect prediction. It’s a lie.

But I suppose it isn’t. If I believe it.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. There is another bill that says people can leave their guns in their cars at their employers parking lot, but it only depends on whether or not the business owner says its ok, which makes that portion somewhat toothless.

    That rule is in effect at my workplace (very, VERY, large company). Trust me, if they wanted to do a search, roughly 60%+ of the vehicles in the parking lot owned by males would be found violating the rule. *

    We still have them because unless they’re trying to find a reason to fire you & that was the only one they could think of, they’ll likely NEVER try to look in your vehicle (and I wouldn’t allow them if they did, so they could fire me, anyway).

    There are rules against having alcohol on the premesis, as well, and I see plenty of pickups with 12-packs in the back on Fridays all the time….meh, rules that are there just to be there.

    Mrs. Johnson speaks for the very vocal 15% or so of Georgians who support this sort of thing. The other 85% are on board, with the majority of that percentage already packing. *Myself included.

  2. Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue is “concerned” about the Georgia bill. He’s being urged to veto by the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, the Restaurant & Hospitality lobby as well as the standard gun haters. So if you’re in Georgia, please call/write/email the Gov and urge him to sign HB 89. The parking lot provision in Georgia is complicated–it’s not as bad as RW put it, but it’s far from perfect. Still, the bill contains many improvements to the georgia gun laws. We have contact info for Gov. Purdue here:
    http://sammytaylor.net/?p=1198

    And details on the bill here:
    http://sammytaylor.net/?p=1190


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: